WJPR Citation New

  All Since 2011
 Citation  2903  2393
 h-index  27  24
 i10-index  68  60

Login

Best Paper Awards

World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research (WJPR) will give best paper award in every issue in the form of money along with certificate to promote research activity of scholar.
            Best Paper Award :
Dr. Muhammad Baqir MR Fakhrildin
Download Article: Click Here

Search

Track Your Article

Abstract

TREND ANALYSIS OF THE CASES OF ADVERSE EVENT FOLLOWING IMMUNIZATION (AEFI) REPORTED IN NIGERIA BETWEEN 2011 AND 2018

Yusuf Kabir Mawashi*, Sume Gerald Etapelong, Onimisi Anthony, Walla Hamisu Abdullahi, Tagbo Becki N. Oteri A. Joseph, Bassey Enya Bassey and Faisal Shuaib

ABSTRACT

Background: Assured quality vaccines and safe immunization practices are paramount to successful immunization programs. This study documented the trends of Adverse Events Following Immunization (AEFI) case reporting between 2011 and 2018 in Nigeria. Method: This was a descriptive retrospective secondary data analysis of the AEFI cases collected between 2011 and August 2018 through the AEFI surveillance system. The data was sourced from immunization database at National Primary Health Care Development Agency headquarters, Abuja. Results: In the period under review, about 20,668 AEFI cases were reported. Majority of the AEFI cases (88%) were reported during Supplementary Immunization Activities (SIAs) while the remaining AEFI cases (12%) were reported under Routine Immunization (RI) session platforms. There was no record for AEFI cases following RI from 2011 to 2016. In contrast, AEFI cases due to SIAs were recorded every year from 2011 to 2018. The highest number of AEFI cases due to SIAs was recorded in 2017 while the least was recorded in 2011. A breakdown of all the AEFI cases reported between 2011 and 2018 by the 36 states of Nigeria and the FCT showed that Kaduna, Kebbi and the FCT recorded the highest numbers of AEFI cases while Bayelsa, Kwara and Ebonyi states recorded the least. Conclusion: Clearly, the sensitivity of the AEFI surveillance system in the country is quite low. However, with the renewed vigour towards improving routine immunization and AEFI surveillance, we expect improved capacity to detect, manage and report all cases of AEFI as they occur.

Keywords: Adverse Event Following Immunization, Secondary data, Secondary analysis, Nigeria.


[Full Text Article]

Call for Paper

World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research (WJPR)
Read More

Email & SMS Alert

World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research (WJPR)
Read More

Article Statistics

World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research (WJPR)
Read More

Online Submission

World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research (WJPR)
Read More